Wondering how to keep the kids happy when cold and windy weather is keeping them inside? Baking a yummy treat (and eating it afterwards) is always a big hit with our hungry bunch so this week we tried our hand at making a scrumptious carrot cake. They all did their bit in the baking preparations and the end result was totally amazing, this is definitely going to be a big family favourite from now on! (I have already requested it as my birthday cake for my next birthday) Recipe below:
3 cups grated carrot (packed)
2 cups plain flour
1 cup vegetable oil
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
3 large eggs
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp bicarb soda
Cream Cheese Icing
250g Philadelphia cream cheese
50g unsalted butter
1/4 cup icing sugar
1. Preheat your oven to 160C and prepare a 20cm round cake pan, we used a non-stick pan but if you don’t have non-stick you may want to grease and line your pan to make sure the cake comes out easily.
2. Mix carrot, sugar, oil and eggs together in a bowl until combined
3. In a separate bowl (large!) thoroughly mix flour, baking powder, bicarb soda, cinnamon and nutmeg.
4. Make a well in the centre of the flour mixture and pour in the carrot mixture. Stir until well combined and add the walnut pieces.
5. Pour your cake batter into your cake tin and bake for 50 minutes or until cooked.
6. To make your icing use an electric mixer to cream the butter and cream cheese until light and fluffy. Add the icing sugar and beat again until light and fluffy.
7. Cover top and sides of your cooled cake with a deliciously thick layer of cream cheese icing (or slice cake in two layers and use some of the icing to sandwich them together) and and enjoy!